Friday, August 7, 2015

#monkeesmeme - What? You're Not Inspired?!

Funny story:  My mom, wanting to be supportive of my education, showed up at Publix with $5 bills in her pocket and rallied three produce guys to do her video.

OK.  So my meme was not successful with the group.  But three friends participated and the videos are too funny!  If you haven't watched them yet, check out the twitter feed on this page.

In retrospect, five factors debilitated what I think is an amazingly fun idea:

1.  Not everyone knows who "The Monkees" are, never mind what the signature walk is.  They were before my time, but we did this silliness as kids anyway.  I never saw the show but I did see them once in concert :)

2.  Most people have pride and won't debase themselves in such a ridiculous manner.

3.  The video format was too complex, requiring people to film, upload to YouTube, and then tweet out.  I had to help every one of my participants.

4.  The meme required at least three people to be present: two to perform and one to film (unless you prop the camera like I did).

5.  I didn't have enough time to rally everyone.  I read the post on Tuesday and posted my video mid-day Wednesday.  People are busy having summer fun (or like us) finishing up the term.  I know with more time I would have convinced more of my friends and family, because that's the kind of gal I am.

Oh well.  I had fun.  And who knows... maybe #monkeesmeme may still take off.

I've had fun experiencing Web 2.0 with y'all.  Enjoy your break!

1 comment:

  1. I love that your mom got involved. That's great! :)
    I thought about trying it, but didn't have enough time. And sometimes it takes a few examples to get the traction going -- especially if the meme requires a bit more thought / production. The text-based ones (like Friday shuffles or Friend Friday) are easier to get going. But I'l so glad you gave this a shot!

    ReplyDelete