Saturday, July 18, 2015

Edmodo: Social Media Teaches Digital Citizenship

The best way to teach digital etiquette, one component of digital citizenship, is to have kids do it, make mistakes, and learn in a safe environment.

Enter Edmodo.

You may have heard of Edmodo.  It's a closed social network that can be used with students or for professional development.  Most teachers use Edmodo with a small classroom to support traditional subjects like science and math.

I am a school librarian.  Digital citizenship is my subject.  So I teach my subject with a tool that is my subject.  How cool is that?

Each year all third grade students participate in this unit.  This is no small undertaking. 150 students post in my class, in their homerooms, and at home when they wish... they love it and truly internalize the concepts.

Here is a list of activities that comprise the unit.  At the bottom of this blog is a screen shot.  Feel free to take any of these activities out-of-context for use in other capacities.

  • Sign the life skills agreement, shown on the right.

  • Create a profile.  I have students use a real photograph because I want them to feel accountable for their posts.  Record parent code.  Earn the "Participant" badge.




  • Type a note to me that your profile is complete, with a personal pictures and all questions answered: way you like to learn, favorite quote, future career.  Earn the "Respectful Notes" badge.
  • Participate in poll, top right.






  • Pass a 3 question quiz, on right.



  • Find a favorite picture with Google Images "free to use or share."  Post the picture with a question and credit.  See screen shots below. 



  • Reply, like, and share others' posts.  Earn "Digital Citizenship" badge.
The picture posting is the crux of the whole unit and the favorite part.  When their picture is posted and cited correctly, students can freely view their friends' posts and comment.  Or they can post more pictures with questions.  With 150 kids, quite a lot of discussion ensues.  They LOVE sharing their pictures and posting to friends.  These posts are where I help students fine tune their digital etiquette.  

Here is a sample post.  The post may seem simple, but remember, these kids are 8 and 9.  Think of all the tech skills and digital citizenship they exhibited!



I hope you enjoyed.  

Cheers!
Michelle - LeaderLibrarian

4 comments:

  1. I really like the concept of earning badges. I was just reading an article on how to attract adult learners with digital badges. I am that type of person that likes to collect these digital points, trophies and badges. It is the perfect way to showcase that you are meeting goals within a community. It also provides a gaming element that is always fun. What are your thoughts on digital badges for adults?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grown-ups like badges, too! You describe their use officially, "meeting the goals" and "gaming element." I also think they are a guilty pleasure. "Look at me. I'm doing well."

      In Edmodo, I have earned 9 badges over the years. Unfortunately, I cannot award badges to other teachers. This is a bummer because I have used Edmodo to track professional development in my school and wanted to reward teachers who participated more thoroughly. My staff was like my class since I was the PD chairperson who organized all the in-service.

      Delete
  2. A pretty interesting post Michelle!
    Thanks for sharing. I like the Life Skills Agreement. It is so important to follow those simple rules. And it is true not only for children, but for adults as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vladimir,
      I'm glad you enjoyed. My Like Skills Agreement is a modification of one that Edmodo provides. I looked through the resources for the original but can't seem to find it. It was years ago that I drafted my first agreement. My version has fewer "rules" and is in kid-friendly terms. I'm sure you could find lots of agreements for adults on the web.

      Delete