Wednesday, July 22, 2015

What do you like to read about in blogs? Survey Results



Thank you to the 18 folks who responded to my blog survey: What do you like to read about in blogs?  

The results and the comments are interesting.  I hope you find the results helpful as I do as we craft our remaining dozen blogs.

Here are a few observations:

  • More people like to read about Tech Tips & Cool Websites than any other topic.  I'm not very surprised at this result but I'm going to make an effort to include tech tips in the next three weeks.


  • The second highest response is personal stories.  Now this result surprises me.  So I tried a personal story in my last blog.  I must not be a good storyteller because nobody commented on my blog.  :)  But I will say, Toastmasters and Michael Hyatt, blog writer extraordinaire, both recommend starting all content with a short personal story.  Guess I have work to do.


  • "Something else" received three votes... I think.  I'll talk about errors later.  In our discussion forum, Amy recommended that options should include "Higher Ed."  You are totally right.  
Errors and reflections:

I have to admit that I'm sort of guessing on two of the results:  Tech Tips and Something Else.  That's because the numbers are cut off in the Blogger "Poll" gadget so I can't read them well.  But I've been watching the results grow over the past week and can see some of the pixels of the numbers in question, so I made my best guess.  

Samantha recommended mixing up your blog content, "You never know what might spark an idea in someone."  Good point!

In our discussion board we debated whether we write for an audience or write for yourself.  It was interesting to hear different views.  I automatically think I should write my blog for my audience.  Gregory, Sally, and Joshua all write to find their voice or to start a "conversation."  Interesting!  Topic for a new poll.  

Another weakness of the gadget is the lack of an "other" textbox for submitting ideas.  Most surveys include this feature.  I'm going to try a new gadget.

I really enjoyed our discussions.  Please continue the discussion here by commenting.

Finally,  try out the new poll...
that takes all your recommendations into consideration.  This time I used PowrPoll.  Vote and check back in next week's blog to see how well the tool works. 

"What is your purpose in writing your blog?"







2 comments:

  1. Great way to incorporate assessment into your blog! I need to check out this poll feature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Craig,

    I'm noticing strength and weaknesses of the two polls I tried: Blogger and POWr Poll. Once everyone votes, (please vote), I can fully compare the two gadgets and will report back. I think you use a personal website so your gadgets are likely different.

    Thanks for commenting. I think polls are a great way to engage your audience.

    Smiles,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete