Sunday, July 5, 2015

Pictures in Blogs - Are they okay?

We want to grab attention...

We want to emphasize our thoughts with visual aids...


How can we ensure that we respect a picture designer's intellectual property?  

Here is a good overview of fair use and copyright. 
 http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/copyright-fair-use-and-how-it-works-for-online-images/

The most important question that Sara Hawkins raises in her post is:
#2: Why are you using the image? If it is “…for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research…” you’re on the right track.
If you’re just using the image to pretty up a post, then think twice; or better yet, get permission or buy a stock image.
So do my images above qualify for fair use or are they just pretty?  They are eye candy.  Can I use them?  Yes - because I changed the license settings in Bing.  

The same option is available in Google Images.  Granted, the results are very limited compared to an open search.  So as you create digital content, please consider licensing it through Creative Commons so we can share your work.  We want to respect your intellectual property and also help proliferate your great ideas.
http://creativecommons.org/choose/




Images from:
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/200/9/8/Eyes_See_You_5_by_ScrapBee.png
http://i.stack.imgur.com/c6ECF.png

14 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you posted this. We cover the topic, but not until later in the class. It's so important, but I can't get to everything in the early weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My librarian heart is happy that intellectual property is important to you, too. Granted, the worst case scenario is unlikely to happen: that your blog will be taken down due to copyright infringement. But, ethics are important to who we are. That being said. My mom's entire published book was scammed and made available digitally by some very unethical people. Very sad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good information Michelle! This is a slippery slope and one that confuses me. Thanks for sharing this!

    Kendall

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good information Michelle! This is a slippery slope and one that confuses me. Thanks for sharing this!

    Kendall

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kendall,
    Thanks for your post. A great place for more information is the Center for Social Media Impact. http://www.cmsimpact.org/ There are best practices for many applications of fair use. One summer a few years ago, I worked with a copyright layer to create a best practices video for teachers. The CMSI best practices were invaluable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew there was a fine line in determining what is acceptable and what is not. I am still learning what it is. Most of my blog posts have images attached to them to grab the attention of the reader. I guess I’ll need to reevaluate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just read your post on this. As a person who loves to use image on my posts, I haven't really paid attention to the intellectual property rights. It is really an eye opener, thank you for sharing Michelle!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So you can't use an image and just link the source?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meagan,
    This is a very common question and one of my "ah-hah" moments in working with the copyright lawyer. Citing a source and copyright are two different topics. Attribution (citation) is part of academic ethics, not at all part of copyright law. Copyright is only about what we are allowed to use and for what purpose. Copyright is law.

    We should also attribute what we use, but you are under no legal right to do so. So using an image illegally, (not qualifying for fair use - use the four factors test), does not become ok if you link to the source.

    I will curate some content about fair use in the Knowledge Share project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I will love your Knowledge Share project! Still I need more info about fair use!

      Delete
  10. Thank you for pointing this out! I have used a few pictures in my blog already to engage the reader. I had not thought once about copyright law. This is something I need to look into to ensure I am not breaking any laws! Can't wait to see the content in your Knowledge Share project.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Michelle! This is great! I actually am aware of this, but frankly I didn't do quite well in citing the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Since "copy and paste it" is a really simple and easy thing to do in this online world, many of us might forget the fact that most original works are protected by copyright regarding use and distribution so we need to get their permission before using them.
    Thanks to Creative Commons licenses, we don't have to contact the copyright owners in person to get their permission before using their works. I also like they make copyright owners choose "what uses" to be allowed to public.
    Good info, Michelle! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jiyae,
    I agree, although unfortunately many images are not registered under Creative Commons. It can be very discouraging to find images that way. I often have to search both Bing and Google Images, because the results are different, although of course there is overlap as well. It's important to note that we are discussing using images in blogs. The strict image use does not apply for educational projects. It all depends on the Four Factors test.

    ReplyDelete