Sunday, July 5, 2015

Think Like a Freak

Great book:  Think Like a Freak by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner

Ok - So I'm listening to this book, not actually reading it.  But I highly recommend it for all you in social media land.  My favorite part directly relates to media scams.

Why would anyone be so stupid as to try to elicit money through obviously shady "Nigerian 419 Scam?"  Why don't the scammers get smart and write e-mails that are more crafty, less blatant?

The answer:  it cuts down on costs.  If 100 people reply to the e-mail but only 1 actually sends money, or bank account information, time and energy are lost with the 99 people through repeated contacts.  But if only that one fool, the one who actually is going to fall for the scam, is the only one who replies to the e-mail, now the return on investment is very good indeed.  The authors call this self-weeding.

How can we use self-weeding in our social media?  Would we want to?  I'd love to hear your applications of self-weeding.

2 comments:

  1. Wow,the title of the audio book is very eye-catching :) Would I be able to get that from Amazon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally listened to it through Overdrive, having checked it out from my public library. However, if you have an Audible account in Amazon, its free. There is also an Audible trial through Amazon.

    ReplyDelete